Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Rally Saturday! - Shutdown VT Yankee Nuke/Suppport VT
U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
VT Governor Peter Shumlin
Vermont Attorney General William Sorrell
to speak at
RALLY TO SUPPORT VERMONT
Citizens from Vermont and surrounding states show support for the democratic will of the people and Vermont elected officials and learn why and how we must act now to decommission Vermont Yankee rather than extend its original 40-year license.
Saturday, April 14, 2012, Noon to 2:00 pm
Brattleboro Common, Brattleboro, Vermont 05301
Also Statements issued from
Former Governor Madeline Kunin
and other elected officials
Special Musical Guest:
Fenibo (a rousing 12-piece Afro-beat ensemble)
The rally will:
• Acknowledge the state’s work to replace Vermont Yankee with sustainable energy solutions and prevent further radioactive contamination of the soil, air, and water surrounding the reactor.
• Support Vermont’s resolve to stand up to the Entergy Corporation’s arrogance and intimidation.
• Recognize Vermont Yankee’s impact on neighboring states and growing national momentum to close 24 antiquated Fukushima-type reactors like VY nationally.
• Demand Entergy Corporation stop using courts to delay fulfilling its agreement with the state to begin, as of March 21, 2012, a responsible, jobs-creating decommissioning of the reactor and clean-up the site.
• Inform the community of the urgent need to work together now to secure the funds needed (while they still exist) to get the job done.
Rally sponsors include: Citizens Awareness Network (CAN), Safe & Green Campaign, Vermont Public Interest Research Group (VPIRG), Nuclear Free Vermont, Vermont Yankee Decommissioning Alliance, New England Coalition on Nuclear Pollution (NEC), Beyond Nuclear, Greenpeace, SAGE Alliance, Vermont Citizen Action Network, Vermont Toxics Action Center, The Enviro Show, Clamshell Alliance, the Sierra Club, Nuclear Information and Resource Service (NIRS) and Vermont Businesses for Social Responsibility (VBSR -- representing 1,180 Vermont companies).